Many people know Cantona for his time at Manchester United and his Kung fu kit against a Crystal Palace supporter! But there is much more to him than this. Positive and Negative. In my eyes the most unique player ever!
Where do we start? CantonaLet’s just make a summary of the things that make him unique (good and bad)
• 3 red cards: In his career, Cantona got 3 red cards. I thought it would be more.
• He had to put his career on hold as he had to go to the army in 1984
• Cantona played his first cap for France in his early twenties
• In 1987 when he was fined for punching teammate Bruno Martini in the face
• In 1988 he again got in trouble because of a dangerous kung-fu tackle on Nantes player Michel Der Zakarian, resulting in a three-month suspension
• He was part of the French under-21 side that won the 1988 U21 European Championship, scoring a hat-trick in a quarter-final against the England under-21 side in the process
• In September 1988, angered after being dropped from the national team, Cantona referred to Michel as a “bag of shit” in a post-match TV interview and was indefinitely banned from all international matches
• In January 1989 during a friendly game against Torpedo Moscow, he kicked the ball at the crowd, then ripped off and threw away his shirt after being substituted
• At Montpellier, he was involved in a fight with teammate Jean-Claude Lemoult and threw his boots in Lemoult’s face. The incident led to six players demanding that Cantona be sacked
• In December 1991, during a match for Nîmes he threw the ball at the referee, having been angered by one of his decisions.
• After this incident, he announced his retirement from football on 16 December 1991
• Leeds United was his first English team and in he first year he won the First Division (Which is now called the premier league)
• In his first season at Manchester United he spat at a fan(Leeds United) and was fined £1,000 by the FA
• When he joined Manchester United they were 10th in the League and at the end of the season, they won the league. The first time in 26 years
• He had won a domestic league title with different clubs for three successive seasons, having helped Marseille win the French league title in 1991.
• In his second season, he was also voted PFA Player of the Year
• In his second season at Manchester United they won the League and FA Cup
• In his third season, the Kung Fu incident and Cantona was suspended for 8 months and Manchester did not win the league.
• On 3 February 1996, Cantona returned to Selhurst Park for the first time since the flying kick. He scored twice as his side beat Wimbledon 4–2. In his fourth season, Manchester won the Double.
• Cantona retired after his last season at Man United. Winning the league for the fourth time in 5 years. He was 30 when he retired.
• Cantona scored a total of 64 league goals for Manchester United, 11 in domestic cup competitions, and 5 in the Champions League, bringing his tally to 80 goals in less than five years.
• Cantona went to Cosmos in 2011 but was fired after a confrontation with a photographer
• Cantona has frequently appeared in commercials and films after his career
I tried to keep this short!!